Welcome to Year 2
Miss Langley and Mrs Wheeler warmly welcome you to Year 2 and to our class page. We have an exciting, fun and busy year ahead of us with lots of learning to do! This is an important stage of primary school and the last year in Key Stage 1 and although we have a packed curriculum we’ll make sure it’s a wonderful experience for everyone.
On this page you can find lots of useful information to help you find out what’s happening in school along with links to useful websites, homework and curriculum information.
We will also update the page regularly with little snippets of what we are getting up to in some of our lessons so keep checking in on here and over on our Year 2 page under the ‘News and Events’ tab.
- Curriculum Overview Year 2 – Autumn 2021
- Curriculum Overview Year 2 – Spring 2022
- Curriculum Overview Year 2 – Summer 2022
- RE Parents-Letter-Summer-2022
Your children will be given a spelling booklet at the start of each term. The booklets are one way that your child can practise their spellings. Using the booklets, children should practise their spellings using the process of Look, Read, Cover, Write, Check. These booklets need to be brought into school every Friday for your child to complete their weekly spelling test.
Alternatively, your child may prefer to play online spelling games on Spelling Shed. Your child’s spellings will be added to Spelling Shed each week. Please encourage your child to practise their spellings using their preferred method. The weekly spelling test will take place every Friday morning. Accurate spelling is an important part of the process of your child learning to write and so children MUST practise each week.
Reading day is a Friday and reading books will be changed at this time. Children are encouraged to read at least one book each week but if they read their book by the weekend they can change it on a Monday. Children should bring their reading book in every day.
Children will also be given maths homework each week in preparation for our mental maths quizzes. The mental maths quiz takes place on a Friday morning.
- Accelerated Reader
- Active Learn – Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling
- AR Book Find
- Spelling Shed
- Spelling and Grammar Bug
- Active Learn
- My Maths
- Time Tables Rock Stars
- Prodigy Maths
- Lure of the Labrynth
- Past SATs Papers
- BBC Bitesize Maths Revision
- Numbots – Number games (login is the same as Times Table Rock Stars)
- Espresso – Cross curricular videos and activities. (Username: student25022 Password: espresso)
Games to help with English:
Games to help with Maths:
- Number Fun
- Duck Game – Counting in tens
- Caterpillar Game – Ordering numbers
- Help put Tom the zebra to bed – Ordering the days of the week
- Days of the week – Match the days of the week
- Colour the seasons – Create a seasonal picture
- Measuring weight and capacity – Measuring games
- Capacity – using the correct measure to fill a container
- Symmetry – Symmetry Matching Game
- Monkey Drive – Multiples of 2, 5 and 10
- Using Money to add and subtract – Find out which toys you can buy, their cost and the change given
- Carroll Diagrams – Sorting numbers using 1 or 2 criteria
- Real PE – At home programme which supports families to be active, play and learn together (add page)
- Jumpstart Johnny – Jump Start Jonny is helping families stay fit and healthy with his FREE workout videos! There are also mindfulness activities that help children stay calm and downloadable resources that keep children well occupied!
- Super movers – Fun curriculum linked resources to get children moving while they learn.
- Go Noodle – A range of movement and mindfulness videos and games