British Values Statement
We are a Catholic school which seeks to live out the values of Jesus Christ. We promote these values by our words and actions; Gospel values permeate every aspect of our work. We provide a curriculum which is broad and balanced, recognising that every child is unique and created in the image of God. We endeavour to ensure that every pupil is well-equipped to become active citizens in service to the world.
We also provide a wide range of extra-curricular activities and strong pastoral support. We incorporate democratic principles, value the rule of law, support individual liberty and foster a community in which different faiths and beliefs are respected.
We do this by:
- Having a School Council
- Incorporating debating as part of our curriculum
- Allowing pupils to vote for House Captains and Vice Captains
- Ensuring all pupils are listened to by adults
The Rule of Law
- Having Class, Playground, School and Lunchtime Rules
- Having a clear Positive Behaviour Policy that is explained to all
- Organising visits from the Emergency service to reinforce the message of right and wrong
- Highlighting the Ten Commandments and the teaching of the Church.
- Encouraging pupils to be independent in their learning
- Providing pupils with opportunities for reflection on responsibilities
- Having a Mission Statement which is inclusive
- Constantly promoting respect for one another as good manners
- Reinforcing the value of everyone’s opinions in class
- Having an effective Anti-bullying Policy
- Emphasising in RE and PSCHE lessons that every person is unique and ‘created in the image of God’
- Supporting charitable works
Tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs
- Our Religious Education provides pupils with a deep understanding of their own faith as well as an awareness of the faith and traditions of other religious communities as a basis for understanding and respecting them
- Celebrating the differences in cultures, families and individuals